WWE

John Cena Addresses Possibility of One More WWE Match

John Cena says his WWE in-ring retirement is final while continuing with the company outside the ring.

John Cena Addresses Possibility of One More WWE Match
Add as a preferred source on Google

John Cena once again made it clear that his retirement from the WWE ring is final, shutting down any possibility of another match in the future.

In a recent interview on TODAY with Jenna & Sheinelle, the “Cenation Leader” said his new chapter with the company no longer includes in-ring action.

Cena explained that, at 49, he has already given WWE his physical best. According to him, the current product is too fast-paced, and forcing a return could lead to a performance below what fans deserve.

“In-ring performance, I will not fall down again,” Cena said. “I’m 49, I have given my physical best to WWE. The product is so fast, and time’s undefeated. Rather than hang around and put out a product that I feel might be less to our consumer, I made a promise to our fans.”

“When I’m a step slower, it’s time to go. That’s happened, and it’s time to go.”

Cena officially retired in December 2025, when he faced Gunther at Saturday Night’s Main Event. WWE itself presented the match as the end of Cena’s Farewell Tour, with Gunther set as his final opponent.

Since then, Cena has remained connected to WWE, but in roles outside the ring. He returned as the host of WrestleMania 42 in Las Vegas, then appeared at Backlash to announce the John Cena Classic, a new project involving talent from the main roster and NXT.

Cena also signed a new five-year contract to remain a WWE ambassador, making it clear that he intends to help the company in a different role.